Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooming apples

Posted by john222-gg Mississippi 8b/9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 4:21

My apple trees seem to just keep blooming they have been blooming for the last month is this normal? They have some fruit that is abought as big as a large grape but still blooming putting on small fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooming apples

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:17

Yes John this is normal where chill hours are less than optimum. They will also have delayed leafing and excess blind wood. Blind wood being long stretches of limb with no branches, spurs or leaves.

The trees can still produce good fruit. With your long growing season it might be better if bloom and therefore harvest dates are delayed.....I'm trying hard to put a positive spin on things.....;-)

o

Fruitnut
I sure apreshate the info.I was worried something was wrong.You are right abought the weather and the way the tree is doing thanks agin.

o

I learn something new on this forum every day. There is a definition for my branches that were 'blind'! After my pruning they are leafed out! Thanks Fruitnut. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here