Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help IDing A Plum Variety Please!

Posted by velvet_sparrow z10 So. Calif. (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 6:10

I've looked and looked online and can't find out what kind these are, not even a picture! I know they exist because I've bought them in the grocery store.

Standard size plum, very dark purple/black skin. The flesh inside is NOT YELLOW OR RED--it is a very dark purple/black and the plum is completely sweet--NOT tart or acidic in the slightest. They are an excellent eating plum and very juicy. Grocery stores tend to simply call them 'Black Plums'. I suspect they are some kind of Italian plum but I'm not sure.

I'd like to plant some but have no idea what the heck they are. Help?

Thanks! :)
Velvet ~:>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help IDing A Plum Variety Please!

There are many plums meeting that description. Satsuma is one common one.

Scott

o

Satsumas look close, but appear too red. The ones I'm looking for are so dark as to be nearly black inside & out. Any other suggestions?

o

Have you looked at the photos on Dave Wilson?

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/plumPrune.html

o

Velvet, if Satsuma is ripened a long time on the tree they look about black. The main way to tell its not Satsuma is not by the color but by the size, they are more like ping pong ball sized which is a bit smaller than the standard modern grocery store plum.

Scott

o

In Zone 10, you need to pay attention to the chill requirement for various varieties. You might want to check with a nearby chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers

o

These are for sure standard size plums and not small, although I may be seeing large examples. Hmm....thanks for the help everyone, and I will check out the rare fruit growers. :)

o

If you are buying them at the store, you are almost certainly not going to be able to buy a tree--commercial varieties are hard to obtain. Looking at the Dave Wilson commercial site, Black Splendor seems to fit your description.

Carla in Sac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here