Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planter_geek

Square Watermelons

planter_geek
15 years ago

{{gwi:93118}} Did you think I was joking? These are perfect in shape and look shiny too.

Comments (8)

• thomis
    15 years ago

I saw that email that was going around a couple years ago. They wanted a way to ship them easier and thought a square shape would be ideal so they put the blossoms in square glass containers and grow them that way. The glass containers have a hinged door that opens to let them out. Pretty clever.

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Geek:

Japanese melon growers have too much time on their hands. Don't ask about the price to the consumer of one of these melons. Japanese people pay very high prices for high-labor fruits like these. About $50 for melons like those in the photo. I'll take a round melon at more like $5.

But yes, the square melons do fit nicely in the refrigerator next to a carton of milk.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

How novel.

They'd probably take a dim view, at 50 bucks a melon, of my preferred means of acquiring melons when I was growing up in the country. (I never stole more than I was gonna eat.) And, way out in the sticks where I grew up, coyotes got a lot more than the few kids who were around. ;)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Don't forget though, that in Japan, everything is pretty expensive!

• murkwell
    15 years ago

The guy who sells Lexan boxes for growing your own claims they are now over $80 apiece in Japan. Of course, he's charging $90 for one box!

Funny you started this post because I've been seriously contemplating inexpensive and low effort means of growing shaped watermelons this year. I think its a great way to make gardening interesting to those who otherwise might not be able to care less.

There is also a product called Vegiforms that have various shapes that one can grow vegetables like cucumbers and zucchini in. They have heart or diamond shaped cross sections or little gnomes.

There is also an vender in Asia that sells a star shaped cross section form, something like 3 for $50.

I think summer squash would be a good candidate for growing in forms because one wouldn't need to be so careful about matching the mature size of the fruit to the volume of the form because summer squash is good at a range of maturity.

Watermelon, on the other hand, probably doesn't taste so great if its development is stunted. The Japanese producer of the cubic melons probably has carefully matched growing conditions to a well-suited variety. They also probably have a pretty crappy yield.

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting information Murky. Have you tried creating your own designs and forms stencils or whatever you call them to do this, something homemade? I think that is what you meant when you said a nonexpensive way of doing it.

• murkwell
    15 years ago

planter geek,

I've been thinking in the back of my mind on how to make a simple box or form. There are free instructions in one place on how to make the watermelon box, and another guy who is trying to sell instructions.

My mom was fishing for Bday present ideas so I let it slip that I'd like the vegiforms, so I'm covered there.

Now I'll need to figure how I want to do the watermelon box. I don't off hand know of a good source for sheet inexpensive Lexan (if there is such a thing). I remember it was expensive when I was in college 15 years ago. I can only imagine now.

I'm just casually keeping my eyes open for ideas. My watermelon plants are on their first set of leaves so I have some time.

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good luck Murky, and please post back to this thread to keep us updated. I'm really curious how it is going to turn out for you and would love to see pictures.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?