Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this the calm before the storm

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 6:54

So far so good. Last year I had a heavy infestation of cedar apple rust (car) on my crabapple and dorsett tree leaves. This year as of now I only have a few spots on the crabapple leaves. I have been reading about the car life cycle and they say the only effective treatment is before or during the infestation. This is a bit confusing to me so I�m not sure how to ask for advice. Any input is welcome. I have been spraying with Serenade on an 8-10 interval this season.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this the calm before the storm

Use copper spray during dormant season. I usually spray mine before buds break. Once leafed out it is too late, Car won't harm the tree.

Tony

o

I have to disagree. While copper does offer some protection, Timing for CAR fungicide sprays should be based on the activity of the orange spore-bearing bodies in the cedar trees. These expand in warm, wet weather, and that's the time to spray.

Many people rely on their fungicide spray for scab to cover the CAR, particularly the petal-fall spray.

I don't think Serenade is specifically listed for CAR, although the label says "rusts"

o

Myclobutanil. Immunox. 2 sprays, one at petal fall, one 2 weeks later. Has kickback and will dry up spores that might otherwise infect apples. A little on leaves no problem.

o

Thanks to all of you for posting and sharing your experience. There is a lot to learn about fruit growing and my goal is to get better each season. Bill

o

Do you spray the whole tree with Immunox or just the blossoms/fruit?

o

I use the Harvestman method with Immunox. Simple and effective for me.

I'd say spray the whole tree tshia6br.

o

Spray the whole tree. CAR mostly affects leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here