Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deformed growth in pear

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 7:03

Super weird. Last years growth had a flattened rectangular quality. The buds that grew from that plant material has replicated it's stem structure and the new shoots are thin, flattened and the leaves coming out are looking like a switch broom! My camera is charging and am going to post a picture. It's on a hosui. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deformed growth in pear

There is a name for that which I unfortunately cannot remember now. Lucky knows what it is. I have gotten it several times and I pruned it off and regular shoots grew back. My vague memory is that some people are concerned that it can spread; I never had more than isolated instances of it.

Scott

o

I wonder if it's related to the mechanisms which initiate sports of a different phenotype. I also wonder if it's something in the environment flipping switches in the physiology and phenotypic expression of the genes. The fact that it replicated from one season to the next is interesting. Time to prune!
Thanks!

o

There's FB in my yard. Could I apply a little 3xantibiotic ointment on the cut? I have copper too, but recall toxicity issues. Am I too careful in this case? Thanks

o

Fasciation. look it up.

o

Thanks Lucky! That's super interesting! First thing I thought was ...a virus is responsible...

o

Had to hit and run earlier. If you googled up images, you see it happens in many plant species.
I've seen it from time to time in pecan/walnut/hickory, as well as pear - and probably in some non-woody annuals.
Have never intentionally tried to propagate fasciated stuff - though there are probably some folk - like those who seek out witches' brooms - who'd be interested in trying.

o

I saw it on Rose bushes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here