Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Hood pear?

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 7:08

As many of you do I obtain grafts from other people and put them on my plants. To my pleasant surprise it has two pears going into it's second leaf. This is from my dwarf interstem tree and the fruit and leaf looks different from my other pear varieties. Can anyone determine if this is a hood pear?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Hood pear?

It would take someone who can "name that tune" after only hearing one note of a tune.....to ID that baby pear by variety. Other than that, when the pear gets full size, becomes very slightly yellowish, and is barely compressable when you poke a fingertip against the side, take a chomp out of it. If it has no grit cells, is sweet, and has a 10% pineapple component to the flavor, it just might be a Hood. Another way to get a clue about this pear is to check the flowering time in early Spring, and if it begins flowering before any other pears around, it just might be a Hood. Yet another clue is that it is very unlikely to get any fireblight. And yet another clue is that the leaves sometimes can get leaf spot.

o

copingwithclay. Thanks for the help. You did well with the limited information that I could provide. Fireblight is a huge issue in central Alabama. I now have five varieties that are supposed to be blight resistant.

o

Just be aware that 'resistant' does not mean 'immune'. You can - and probably will - still get some FB hits on these pears. Small, young trees could potentially be taken out, if you don't get ahead of it, but older mature trees can often withstand it.
If you look at old Keiffer pears throughout the countryside, they often have multiple 'shepherd's crook' fireblight hits throughout the canopy every year, but seem to limit it's spread, and go right along bearing heavy crops

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here