Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Depot Golden delicious

Posted by johnthecook none (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 7:16

One of my Home Depot Golden Delicious has apples this year. And they're really red. My other one planted in another part of my garden is green and bloomed later. So I guess I got a miss labeled apple tree from The Depot. Just a good lesson for people to know about when buying from big box stores. I'm not to bothered because this tree is different from all the other apple trees from Lowes and Home Depot so maybe it's a really nice but different tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Depot Golden delicious

I was at the Home depot in Omaha, NE. yesterday and I have noticed several fruits on the golden delicious was reddish and I mentioned it to my wife that they missed labeling it. Buy at your own risk at the big box store.

Tony

o

From HD or Lowes the surprise is when the variety on the tag turns out to be accurate, not the other way around.

Scott

o

I have some macs, jonagold,golden delicious,honeycrisp and a winesap from them and they mostly seem to be what they were tagged as. allthough this is the first year I'm going to maybe get some fruit from them so I'll have to wait and see.

o

Be aware that Golden Delicious can still have a red blush on the side that faces the sun. Just because they don't have red blush in grocery stores doesn't mean they won't on your own tree, especially while your tree is young and there aren't many branches to shade the apples. Remember that apples sold by grocers are specifically selected for beauty and looks and to match consumer expectations. There are probably thousands of bushels of Goldens produced each year with red blush that get used to make sauce or pies or whatever because they didn't look "perfect". Your tree might indeed have been misidentified; however, I would first consider whether you are simply experiencing blush on the side that faces the sun, which is the true nature of many apples regardless of the silly names that humans give to them. Just because an apple is called Golden doesn't mean that the apple doesn't know any better than it is NOT supposed to turn red in the sun!!!

o

My one that I'm pretty sure is golden is the first year it has apples staying on it and it bloomed later than the other apples in my little orchard. I was surprised that it has a good amount of apples on it since it bloomed all alone. But I read that Golden Is one of the few apple trees that self pollinates itself. It has a nice blush on it as you say. The other one is in my veg garden and is allmost totally red all over. It will be fun to figure out what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here