Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loremd

Problem with my apricot tree - help

loremd
9 years ago

First of all, I'm completely new with trying to grow fruit trees and have been scouring the internet to learn about them for months now..

I planted a bare root apricot tree 2 months ago in a 20 gallon SmartPots container using a 5:3:1 pine bark mulch to peat to perlite mixture. I had kept it indoors originally but based on advice here decided to move it out onto my deck 2-3 weeks ago. I knew I had to slowly adjust the plants to the heat but I think the first day I left it out too long (2 hours) and all the branches and leaves sagged down as they are in the picture. The shoots at the end of the branches all turned brown and died.

Since then it's basically been leave tree in the sun for a couple hours, then move it to a shady spot then repeat a bit longer each day. As soon as the sun hits it, it looks like the pictures. At the end of the day it looks a little better but branches stay saggy. Next day cycle repeats.

I have a couple of apple trees in the same pots/soil that are doing relatively well in comparison and have been caring for them the same.

I'm not sure what to do now. Should I remove the tree and examine the roots? Repot in new soil or a different container? I figure it's probably a root problem, as in the plant can't take up the water for some reason.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• loremd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic

• loremd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

soil/pot

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Agree not getting water into those shoots. But you can't remove the tree and examine the roots without killing it.

How often are you watering? With that much top in that kind of pot I'd think every day until it drains out bottom would be right.

The other approach would be to cut all those branches back until it quits wilting even if that means 8 inches remaining. I'd cut off half and see what it does. You really need upright growth anyhow. A fruit tree shouldn't be flopped down like that.

Water more first if not watering regularly now. If that perks them up you need to support the tops or cut them back until they stand up on their own.

• charina
    9 years ago

You've got what, 10 gallons of mix in that 20 gallon pot? It won't take long for that to dry out, esp in a fabric pot. Water frequently and heavily for a few days. It is possible some dry spots have developed in the soil that may resist watering.

• loremd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

The watering situation if so confusing. I've alternatively thought that I was watering too much then too little then too much. It was outdoors during some recent rainstorms and that didn't seem to make any difference. I've bought a water meter from Amazon and poking it all over the place in the pot consistently shows that it's in the "moist" zone. I know from poking my hand all the way down that the lowest inch or two of soil is "wet". I'm not sure how well these fabric pots drain but I keep worrying that I may have "drowned" the roots and maybe root rot has set in.

9 years ago

That's not root rot or the leaves would look worse. It's too dry. Water every day. Those fabric pots dry out quickly and have very good aeration. I water in morning so that any perched water is gone by noon. You won't drown it in that pot with a mix you can stick your hand in to the bottom. Those meters say moist until it's bone dry.

• loremd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I've been watering the tree pretty much every day and it looks worse to me. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to do whatever I need to!

9 years ago

Looks pretty good to me. No dead or brown edges on the leaves. I'd say keep doing what you're doing. It's still adjusting to the outdoor environment.

If you are expecting the branches to suddenly pop upright it's not going to happen. They got long and lanky inside without enough light. You'll either need to support them upright, prune back and wait for upright growth, or live with what you have. If left like they are you will get upright growth from the highest buds on the current limbs or other buds maybe on the trunk. Form can be improved later down the road. Post back if you have more questions after it starts growing again.

Give the tree as much light as possible.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus