Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curculio populations down in east this year?

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 7:47

I have yet to see a single curculio scar or to see an actual critter. Usually by now I have found some isolated spots that got nailed, and have seen a couple of them on fruits. At this point my apricots are dime or so and many apples are pea sized. It looks like there might be an upside here to the hard winter.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curculio populations down in east this year?

That their late?

Kidding.

o

You're fortunate because I'm seeing more hits than last year on my plums and peaches.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 9:33

Lots of hits here in KS. I thought I had a bit more time before spraying until I went out and saw the :-) faces on plums and cherries. Looks like you and I are at about the same stage of fruit development Scott. Apples are pea sized here.

o

Interesting. One thing that is unusual about this spring is we have not had any warm still nights yet, that is when they are by far the most active. Maybe the weather has been on my side. I also sprayed the first coat of Surround a bit earlier than usual. Will need to make sure to not let my guard down.

Scott

o

As usual, as soon as I post here they decide to show up. I found one apple and half a dozen apricots with bites. I think the arrival of warmer nights is just now getting them going. After the current rain they get a nice thick Surround welcome mat!

Scott

o

We've had one warm curculio night this spring, but no fruit for them to molest. Maybe they'll leave and seek out fruitier pastures.

o

Nothing here, but then again I'm at bloom on the plums, pluots and peaches. Apples are just showing red... I have seen pear and apple blossoms being chewed on...and i'm pretty sure I've read that PC can eat blossoms/////yes/no???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here