Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Grapes

Posted by thepodpiper 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 7:48

All of my newly planted bare root grape vines have started to bud and I am wondering if I should fertilize and if so, how often. Any suggestions on fertilizer would be appreciated too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Grapes

Well, something very mild, you don't want to fry them at this point. Maybe 1/4 strength Miracle Grow, or perhaps a tablespoon of Osmocote mixed into the soil around each plant.

o

Sounds good I have Miracle Grow.

o

How about blood meal or bone meal?

o

For what it's worth....Miller provides a pretty detailed information booklet on grape culture in its planting guide. Here is what it says in the section: Fertilizing Grapes. "A Commercial Fertilizer such as 10-10-10 will supply the vine all the nutrients needed. Use 1 pound per vine in a mature vineyard. Use less on young vines and do not fertilize at all the first year. It should be applied as soon as the buds start to swell in the spring. For best results spread the fertilizer away from the base of the vine as grape feeder roots grow 8 to 10 ft. long. If the fertlizer is placed around the base of the vine it will be of little benefit. On vines that make an exceptionally strong growth use fertilizers sparingly."

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 20:26

If you have alkaline soil you might consider some foliar spray.

o

Thanks for all the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here