Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach budding questions

Posted by PersianMD2Orchard none (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 8:02

I'm not giving up on peach grafting yet but some budding trials may be in line.

-Can use dormant bud sticks from last season OR buds from this season in budding????

-Do you have to destroy the rest of the tree to do budding? I like whip and tongue because my trees are young and I generally like the original variety that came on them too. You can put a bunch of new varieties on a relatively new tree while still preserving a lot of the original tree with whip and tongue. I have a peach tree producing say 50 peaches this season and want to add more varieties without setting back the peach tree's original variety much. Whip and tongue on a high branch can do the trick, can budding do the trick too?

I don't want to bud low on the trunk then chop off all of the tree above the bud. Or perhaps you can do some high budding on an half inch diameter branch up top??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach budding questions

You use this years new growth to c hip bud with, at least I do. Not sure about dormant wood. You bud up high or down low, where ever you have matching size wood. Meaning when you take off a bud, you want to find matching wood that is around the same size to fit it in. A lot of times, especially with bigger trees, you have to go up higher then you may like to find that wood. Unless you give the tree a serious haircut and force it to branch out lower.

photo budster.jpg

o

You can use dormant wood as long as it's still fresh.. done it many times myself.

o

Oops double post...

This post was edited by scottfsmith on Sat, May 25, 13 at 9:33

o

This sounds great thanks guys. It sounds like similar to whip and tongue, you can chip bud (or T-bud?) up high on matching pencil thick wood if you like, preserving the rest of the tree. In most of the diagrams I've seen of T-budding, they bud down low on the main trunk, and whack off the rest of the tree/rootstock above. I think those diagrams are for mainly geared at making trees from rootstock... not making 4n1 and 7n1 etc. cocktail trees which is my goal for testing different varieties in limited space.

So it sounds like you can bud up high and keep rest of the tree in tact.
Can you also bud down low on the trunk and not whack off the top? I guess only apical dominance sending energy to the new variety is the limiting factor here, so budding high would be best if trying to keep the rest of the tree OK. And budding low--without whacking off the top--would be a gamble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here