Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Peach Tree and Fertilizing

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 8:08

Hoping Fruitnut will respond here. I remember him posting before about holding back on nitrogen and water when his potted stone fruits start ripening. My tropic snow peach in a 25 gallon pot is starting to ripen. The fruit is getting bigger rapidly now and starting to get a little blush color to it. I know it needs some fert as the growth has really slowed and the leafs are not dark green as they were a month or so ago. Should I go ahead and fertilize now or wait untill the fruit is picked? I use a slow release fert so not to sure if it would effect the fruit anyway but I do want the tastiest peaches I can get off this tree. I have been holding back a little on water also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Peach Tree and Fertilizing

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 14, 13 at 10:33

blueboy:

Don't worry about the fertilizer at this point. It won't affect anything in the last few weeks. Hold off until after harvest.

In a pot there isn't a lot you can do about water either. You certainly don't want to water unless needed. But don't stress the tree so much that it wilts, losses leaves, or has shriveled fruit.

Sometimes a pot brings out the best in a fruit and sometimes it doesn't. But in a pot the root system is so small there is little room for error.

The water deficit I've used is a long term condition brought on over many weeks, not just right before harvest. The tree needs time to adjust to the deficit and the small root system makes that difficult.

For my in-ground trees in the greenhouse I'm trying for a 6 month controlled deficit that lasts all summer. I don't know how to do that in pots. But like I say sometimes the fruit in pots is great.

o
RE: Potted Peach Tree and Fertilizing

Thanks Fruitnut, I say I've been holding off the water but we had serious rains for 3 days last week and I've been watering the 25 gallon pot twice a week for the last month. Probably not much of a water shortage! The fert was my main question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here