Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Have you grown these grapes?

canadianplant
10 years ago

Im experimenting growing grapes. I am roughly zone 4, and so far have Himrod, Vanessa and Valiant planted in the ground. I seem to have a habit of making bad choices regarding hardiness.

Vanessa and Himrod are said to be amung the hardiest seedless grapes. They dont seem to be able to take winter unprotected, but survive below the snow. Im hoping to wrap them this winter to see how the respond.

The Valiant is said to be hardy to well below -30C and survived quite well. THis is its second year and Im hoping it will take off...

Now comes this year. I bought Niagra, which is said to be good for northern growers (but after further reading not as hardy as Himrod?).

I found Beta grapes. I dont think I will have to worry about this one.

And, the big problem. I bought, what the tag calls "Vitis "Flame". Upon further reading online, it seems to be "flame seedless". This is a vinifera grape, a complex cross it seems too. It seems to be hardy to zone 5, but I cant find any decent info on its hardiness. Being a vinifera, I would have to assume it isnt very hardy, and am going to have to baby it......

Any thoughts?

Comments (2)