Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach trees:

Posted by loneranger_grow (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 8:09

I had a peach, Apricot, and Nectarine, planted and they all grew, to about 8 ft tall. the Peach and apricot started to have fruit. Then,,last spring the peach and apricot, shot out new leaves in the Spring that promptly withered and died along with the entire tree. My Nectarine struggled, but came around and grew all summer. Now this spring it has done the same and is dieing. I have no borer problem, no sign of any disease. The only clue I can come up with is that the last couple yrs have been Extremely wet,,especially in the spring. I have heavy clay soil. I figure Peach type trees do not like heavy wet soil. I have apple and pear trees nearby that are doing fine. My neighbor, across the road is haveing the same result to some of his peach trees? Are the very wet conditions, a Possible Cause??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach trees:

Loneranger:

Wet conditions, coupled with poor drainage, are almost certainly the cause of your stone fruit problems. The problem is often compounded by planting too deeply, though I don't know if that's the case here.

If you dig up these trees, you will find a lot of dead roots. The roots drown, and when the scions above begin to leaf out and demand moisture and nutrients, the roots are unable to supply them.

If you don't have a planting area with better drainage and you have already planted as close to the surface as possible, it may be necessary to plant on raised berms. Apple and pear rootstocks are better able to resist drowning, but cherries are the most sensitive of all.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here