Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crimson passion/ honeyberry usa

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 8:20

Sometimes you have to take a chance on new nurseries. And that I did.
I found a reputable source for crimson Passion. I got honeyberries, saskatoons, and Morello cherry and they were all larger than expected and shipped prior to bud break. I hate getting leafed out wilted product. They're all leafing out nicely. Real nice product and great customer service.
Noogy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crimson passion/ honeyberry usa

I bought my crimson passion from them last year. It was good too. growing nicely in my garden.
Olga

o

I also ordered a Crimson Passion and a Carmine Jewel from Honeyberry USA. They both came with a bit of bud, and the Crimson Passion just exploded. The Carmine Jewel, however, just didn't get going. I contacted Honeyberry USA today, and they are replacing my Carmine Jewel with a rooted and larger replacement right away. They shared with me that they do have a greater fail rate with Carmine Jewel - about 7% - since they are not as vigorous. I planted both in 1 gal. containers with fast draining potting soil (EB Stone Cactus Mix) and was careful about making sure they didn't dry out since we're past our rains, now. But, I just wasn't diligent enough with the Carmine Jewel I guess. Very pleased that they are replacing it for me. Here's what they look like after about 2 1/2 weeks. They were just dormant branches when they arrived. I am hoping I can get at least some fruit on both, since I am not exactly in their ideal growing environment:
Photobucket

Patty S.

o

It looks like it's the other way around, hoosierquilt. The Carimine jewel exploded.
Crimson Passion on the right, known to be slow and harder to propagate is what I heard.

o

Okay, that's what I get for posting late in the evening. Good grief. You can clearly see by my labels it is the CARMINE JEWEL that leafed out very quickly and well, and the less vigorous CRIMSON PASSION that pooped out for me. Thanks for pointing that out, Konrad! This will be the grand experiment for me, along with my lingonberries. I am not expecting much fruit, but maybe a handful. And, that would be fine with me. Honeyberry USA has been great to work with, Bernis has been wonderful. I may try Honeyberries, next, as there are some later varieties that might fruit for me, and they do not need acidic soil like blueberries and lingonberries, so I can plant them directly in the ground. I'll just top dress with compost well.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberry USA: Sour Cherries

o

Thanks for posting this Noogy.Two plants I haven't heard of and might try,seeing they don't get extremely large. Brady

o

Brady,
I haven't eaten any yet, but reading their info in U of Sask, I thought it would be an improvement on typical varieties/ tree form/semi/standard stock.
Yeah, 5.5, 6.5' bushes are pretty attractive.
I love it when interspecific hybridization produces exceptional plants.
They're manipulating genes and testing stuff now we won't know about for years to come!
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here