Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Sprayer tip - what kind?

Scott F Smith
9 years ago

I recently got a new backpack sprayer and it came with a flat tip which sprays in a plane only. It doesn't seem very good for fruit trees but it got me wondering if anyone was using any kind of tip other than the standard adjustable kind. The new sprayer also came with this "pinhole" tip that is just a single hole. I haven't tried that one.

BTW my new sprayer is very nice, if you do a lot of backpack spraying I highly recommend it. The main advantage is it holds 22 liters which is almost 6 gallons. Its a Solo 485. Get the special shoulder harness for an extra $30, it is the same setup as for a hiker's 50-kb pack and feels great after an hour. The only problem is it comes only with the flat and pin tips but I have lots of other tips lying around to try on it.

Scott

Comments (3)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I've tried doing that and discovered that tips come in different sizes that don't fit on what you want to use

I have a Gilmour hose-end sprayer, and it flips back and forth from a regular to a flat spray. The flat spray is useful for applying liquid fungicide to lawns.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tips I have are all Solo tips which are interchangeable. Solo makes a dozen different tips so I am particularly curious which Solo tip people are using. I decided to order the Solo brass adjustable tip to try that one out.

I think the flat tip is good for lawns only, it didn't do a good job at all on my fruit trees. I had to use it because the adjustable tip kept clogging. I put too much Surround in and it was not all going into solution. There does seem to be a limit of how much Surround can be used in a given tankful. Next time I run into this issue I may try one of the Solo pinhole tips.

Scott

• johnnysapples
    9 years ago

I modified my ace heavy duty two gallon pump sprayer today. IT works five times better than before now! I'm not saying for anyone to do this and if you do, do it at your own risk. My tank is about 5/16" thick plastic with a blow off valve. I put a 7/16" hole at the top and pulled a Schrader valve threw it from the inside. That's a valve an air chuck will hook to. I don't have to pump it anymore! In fact half full with one gallon takes less than one fill up of air. I just fill it till the blow off valve starts to move, sometimes till it blows, but it stops automatically. Now when I use it the tank empties before the air pressure runs out. I didn't like the nozzle on it either, so I cut the end right off. I bought line the same size at home depot and a compression splicer, and added about 30" more of line so it's about four foot long now. I drilled out the reduced 1/4" threaded plastic that was in the threaded jet nozzle and connected it straight to the 3/8" line. That jet would plug up and spray in different angles till it was plugged up before. Now it fans and sprays further. I can reach about 20' now, but it goes threw solvent faster. I also get around much faster. I used to have to pump every tree now I can do my three year old trees all seventeen of them in one pass without recharging the tank. I did my raspberries too. All with one gallon of spray in about ten minutes. Don't even attempt this if you don't have an over pressure relief valve. It will blow up with hazard solvent in it. Next I'll put it in a back pack. Light weight too. I haven't tried it with more than one gallon. A gallon is all I need to get around my orchard. The tank is about two gallons, but I think its a one gallon sprayer, not sure. I could fill it up but than little air storage. I'm still spraying air after the fluid is gone so maybe I could get more fluid in, but not much more. With the long wand and no pumping I love it! The longer wand also helps keep me out of the spray, plus reach the tops better. It might actually spray to wide, about ten foot wide 20' up. I might fill in the ends of the jet some, and see what that does. It might go higher and narrower then. I was looking for different sized jets but couldn't find them.