Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

Dead tree with sprouts above the graft worth saving?

We had a particularly harsh winter this year and for the 1st time I have winterkill on a few of my apple trees. The damaged trees, which are in their 3rd or 4th year, have sprouts above the graft.

Heres the question: assuming the root systems are undamaged would new growth give me a fruit bearing tree sooner, the same, or much later than a replacement?

Question might seem dumb but I have found on my decorative maples that regrowth is substantially faster than a replacement

Comments (9)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Same with a fruit tree. The established root system will save you at least one yr probably two.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

I'm confused. How could you have live sprouts above a graft if the tree below the graft is dead? What am I missing here?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dirtguy50; my bad; description was poor. the tree appears dead but has enough life left to sprout from just above the graft. The trunk and all the branches are dead.

fruitnut; thx for response and info.

• lshx71
    9 years ago

I have a similar problem, but all of my trees were just planted last year. After a harsh winter, they all appear dead on the trunk (no leaf buds but branches are still flexible) and new growth is coming from above the graft. Sine mine are new, and likely to not have an established root system, should I just replant this fall?

• steve333_gw
    9 years ago

It looks like I will be facing the same decision myself soon with a few trees.

Since there is little one can do right now about replacing them (at least in my location), I am opting to wait and see. If the tree was vigorous in past years, and the new sprouts are growing well I will probably leave it. If it was struggling or is barely growing now, it will be replaced next spring.

• copingwithclay
    9 years ago

Many years ago a young Burgundy plum planted in a pot here mysteriously died back from the top. About a foot above the graft a small sprout emerged, and I debated whether to toss out the plant. I let it remain just to see what would happen. Over about 15 years that tree grew to a full sized plum tree with an 8" trunk. It did produce some good crops in some years but not in others. It finally died from root rot over the last couple years as one large limb at a time would slowly die off. Give the tree a chance. Who knows what might happen?

• curtis
    9 years ago

I would let them grow. Even with cambium damage below the sprout it has time to overgrow and heal.

I'm glad nobody is suggesting a different variety of tree. Getting another winter with that kind of cold snaps may not happen in your life time.... of course maybe next year too. I just mention this because i know a guy that doesn't have any of the great varieties because he doesn't want to loose them in a bad winter.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I agree. Let them grow out and train one as the new central leader. This happened to my Kristin cherry a few years ago. I used the dead leader as the support for the new leader to train it upright. By the next year it had rebounded just fine.

I would caution fall planting of trees, especially in lower zones (I'm in zone 5). I have never had any good luck with it. The trees need to be equally or more dormant than your own trees. Even a few days or weeks behind and they will surely die.

You won't lose anything by trying. If only the rootstock survives then grafting onto it will also save at least a year also.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area