Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

triazicide, then rain. Reapply?

lsoh
10 years ago

I've been unable to spray my fruit trees until yesterday. (Out of town, then wind.) The Cherry was in bloom when I left town about 2 weeks ago. I'm new to this, but I'm pretty sure the Cherry tree has aphids. Yesterday evening the wind died down last night about 8 pm so I sprayed with Triazicide. Despite the forecast, it rained last night. Weather.com says it didn't rain. My rain gauge says 0.01". So probably fairly light. Do I need to spray again?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Not for aphids until you see the need again. Aphids are easy to kill. One good spray and they are gone. But depending on conditions they might appear again later. In my greenhouse spraying once every 4-6 weeks provides full control. Sometimes I don't even spray. Just cut off the young growth on the branch tips where all the aphids reside. Then they are gone until more new growth appears. If I need more growth I spray, if not then I trim the tips off.

• daemon2525
    10 years ago

Fuitnut, you say that aphids are easy to kill? I am not questioning that but I am not having such luck. My wife has roses with what I call a green aphid. So I said, yes Honey I'll handle that! I have an arsenal of orchard sprays!

First round with Triazicide, the next day we still had some left. waited a week and this time I sprayed malathion.

I still saw some moving this morning.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

daemon:

Maybe I'm wrong. Like any insect they can develop resistance to certain pesticides. Where they've been sprayed a lot, like heavy ag areas, they might be resistant. No ag around here and mine pop like a water ballon.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Isoh and Daemon,

You may want to check another post titled Cherry Leaf Curl on this forum. Scott Smith gave very good advice on how to get rid of black cherry aphids and ants that harvest the aphids on cherry trees.

I have only two sweet cherry trees (aphids have not bothered my sour cherry yet). So, I just open up the curled leaves and squish them. Gross but effective!!

I do the same thing to green aphids on rose buds. To be a bit less gross, I put on thin gloves, used for handling food, before I run my fingers up rosebuds and squish those green aphids. I start seeing them on roses now. To my 12 roses bushes, spraying is not as effective. After squishing them daily for a week, their life cycle is disrupted. Much less later. I get my revenge from squishing them.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

My combo of immunox, triazicide and captan (with a 'sticker') works well on all of my fruit trees and my roses as well. A 'sticker is like a glue for spraying' as it helps the spray adhere longer to the bark and leaves of your trees. It provides longevity to each spray on your schedule.

Yes, is the answer, since it sounds like you didn't mix a 'sticker' into your mix, I would spray again. Better safe than sorry. A second spray will not hurt your trees. (As long as they are not in bloom).

• mes111
    10 years ago

Madam G

What "sticker" to use?

Mike

• mes111
    10 years ago

Madam G

What "sticker" to use?

Mike

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Mike, I use 'Bonide' Turbo Spreader Sticker. Works like a charm. Mrs. G ( I get great pesticides and supplies from doyourownpestcontrol.com.)