Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nodding2003

Pomegranaite Bush

nodding2003
9 years ago

I have a Pomegranate bush that is about 6 or 7 years old. Last year everything was great. I am wondering, here in North Ga (just south of Atlanta) when is it supposed to come out of dormancy. 7 May and still no leaves. I believe last year it leaved a little late. The branches still feel alive when I bend them but I am concerned. Thanks

Comments (7)

• rian
    9 years ago

What variety do you have? I have an unprotected salavatski about the same age that just leafed this morning. Don't give up.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

I planted an angel red and a russian in the fall in Northern VA and neither made it through the winter.

• Chris-7b-GA
    9 years ago

I am just north of ATL, mine just started leafing out, but other than Salavatski, they were all stored in pots in a shed. Even with protection, my Angel Red growth all died back to the ground, with new shoots coming up now, must not be as cold hardy as some say.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Chris, Angel Red is not cold hardy at all. Thats what Ashton says in his book and it also jibes with my experience. My plant has struggled along for a few years but I think the last winter finally killed it.

The new poms I planted last year are all growing out from the roots now. The only exception is a Salavatski which seems to have come through largely unscathed. My Kazake trees are all green wood but have not pushed any buds anywhere yet -- it looks like the buds got damaged in a late freeze or something. I'm sure it will push buds from somewhere eventually. Most of my other older poms are starting to push buds from well above the ground.

In a few weeks when the results are all in we should trade reports on how our pom varieties did. Right now its looking like Salavatski is the leader for me, even over Kazake which is usually considered the most hardy.

Scott

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Well if you all are having the same concerns maybe I shouldn't worry about my Angel Red that arrived last fall. It spent the winter in the garage with the figs. I will wait a bit longer before I start to worry.

My new Che and Smith's Best persimmon are waking up but my Great Wall shows no signs of life, Anyone have experience with Great Wall?

• c5tiger
    9 years ago

I have a 5 year old Salavatski that has never been damaged by the cold in my area, so I decided to add more varieties. I got some desertnyi, parfianka, mae and red silk cuttings from forum members. I grafted the desertnyi and red silk on my salavatski and also rooted all.
    The person I got these from said absolute cold in the winter was not as bad as late frost when they are leafing out and that was my experience this year in 8b. We had a very cold winter and hit 14 degrees twice. My unprotected inground rootings only took damage on the very tip of the twigs. They then leafed out in early March and were hit by 28 degree night and killed the new growth. Two weeks later the same thing happened but they never came back after that and had to start all new growth from the ground.
    My salavatski leafs out much later and was not damaged at all. The interesting thing was my two grafts fared much better than the rootings of the same variety because they broke dormancy later, same time as the salavatski. The grafts took lite damage like the rootings but were not hurt later.
    This is one year and may mean nothing but you might try grafting your other varieties onto your salavatski. This will probably only help with late frost and not absolute cold in the winter.

• nodding2003
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure if the message worked. Rian its a Wonderful