Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Pruning.

Posted by beeman_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 8:48

I have been researching 'Air Pruning' of containers, installed some for my greenhouse tomatoes, they really are growing well, but the jury is still out as regards my viability.
I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPxj8e2r7H0
which I found interesting.
I also found this from the UK http://www.millhousenurseries.co.uk/rootpruning.php
Can I get some opinions whether this idea would be viable for my fruit tree containers?
I keep a peach and apricot and put them in an unheated garage over winter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Pruning.

Air pruning is appropriate for those plants prone to producing strong tap roots, such as many trees, but I see no benefit for tomatoes which naturally root deeply, but without major tap roots. Al

o
RE: Air Pruning.

I disagree, it's like you have a much bigger size container. I actually think a plant with a tap root would not benefit at all from this method. It's not like you have more room for that root. Regular roots, would benefit. The tap root would not be air pruned I would think?
I have heard tomatoes can go down over 4 feet or more looking for water.
I don't think fruit trees have tap roots? I know that a tap root is why maples are hard to move in ground. Once you disturb or break that root, it greatly harms the tree. So taking maple seedlings from the ground often results in failure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here