Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temperature 26 F

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 8:48

Clear and cold this morning, apple and plum blooming and pear trying to finish up.

Marknmt is not amused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temperature 26 F

Not good news at all. You can cut open pears in a couple days and see if they are brown in the center. The fruit in bloom may be able to take 26.

o

Harvestman - my earlier pears aren't brown inside and they're growing, but they have a lot of external damage - cracks and frost rings. Do you think they'll be edible? Or should I get rid of them now?

o

It, I have no idea- this is my first experience in 23 years of fruit growing in the northeast with this kind of frost damage. I've never had frost rings and didn't get them this year.

This is, by far, my worst fruit year ever. Nearby neighbors in spots usually as cold didn't suffer my damage. My wife thinks it's vodoo, my son suspects Karma and I ask "why can't it be both?".

o

I can't tell what's going on yet, but first appearances is that almost nothing has changed. Many blossoms still look fine, although a few on the pear are dark in the center.

Much of the apple has yet to bloom, and the blooms that are there seem happy enough. Similarly on the plum.

Best case scenario? I might not have to thin much. Worst case? I don't want to think about it.

So it goes. At least I didn't quit my day job ...

o

Um, yeah, it was 26 here two weeks ago this upcoming Sunday morning. Results are NOT pretty. I found one peach and one pear growing so far, and a handful of sour cherries. I haven't found a viable apple yet.

One thing I wonder -- my shellbark hickory that was badly hit on the lower limbs is considerably greener with far less damage high in the canopy -- overall height at this age is about 1 1/2 times the height of the utility poles. I am curious to see if some fruit was spared on the highest limbs of standard apple and pear trees? They aren't nearly as tall as this hickory, but perhaps there is a little hope.

I am still going to spray this weekend, just in case ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here