Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting article of "new" farm equipment efficiantcy

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 8:57

"While the giant planters can put seed in the ground at record speeds, the paradox of the modern farm economy is this: the advances in technology cannot offset the consolidation in the industry, according to agronomists. With fewer farmers tilling the nation's soil, and the average farm size growing year by year, the 2013 crop cannot get in the ground much faster than it did decades ago."

Very interesting article.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/monster-machines-fan-u-farms-110459454.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting article of "new" farm equipment efficiantcy

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 9:27

Mainly they aren't planting faster because those big planters cost so much, $250,000 is a lot of $$$$$! You can only justify buying so many of those machines. It's a balancing act between machinery cost and yield lose due to delayed planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: article direct link

o

Yup, I think that was part of the 'paradox" mentioned in the article. Smaller farms needed smaller equipment, and it even says we arent producing much more with "advanced" methods.

o

The cost of farm equipment is crazy. You need the larger tractors to be able to farm enough land to make a profit now. If you don't have enough land to farm the equipment costs are too much to make any money. My cousin farms around 4300 acres and uses a 24 row planter. It take a really large tractor to pull a planter that large.

o

Check out 'open source ecology'. They can build farm machines at 1/5th of what John Deere charges, and they are designed to last forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here