Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dean_1956

Straightening a 3 year old Apple tree

Dean-1956
9 years ago

I had a tree bend over from ice and I didn't do anything with it thinking it may straighten out on its own ( naive me). I would like to straighten it back up. So far I have brought it back to vertical with a stake and ropes. How long will it take before I can remove the ropes? Will I need to take it past vertical before I'm done

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Too much depends on the soil and the tree to give a real answer. I see whole orchards of apples growing here at quite an angle, due to prevailing winds and the dwarfing rootstocks used. In these circumstances to keep the trees vertical permanent staking would be required. Al

• curtis
    9 years ago

It moved in the ground I take it? so the answer above is correct. depends. Dwarf rootstock needs supported forever or this will continue to happen.

If you were just straightening a curved branch or trunk that would depend on age/size of the wood, but yours at 3 years old can be retrained in weeks if a branch, longer but doable at the trunk.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

A bent trunk or a limb trained to a new position will retain it's new shape after one growing season. During that time it lays down new wood in the new shape. That will be enough to hold the new shape unless something is pulling it into another shape, like wt of fruit.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

FN, I think he may be talking about a dislodged tree and not a crooked one.

For this problem there are so many variables that the only practical advice I can offer is to have an easily detachable staking system so you can test the anchorage and reattach if anchorage is not yet achieved.

I had many trees blow over in a hurricane a year ago and some anchored after one growing season while others are still wobbly. The time it takes It depends on if roots were torn or simply pulled free but still intact along with a half dozen other factors, including soil, species, variety, rootstock and size of the tree.

• Dean-1956
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sorry I didn't give enough information . The tree bent over in the top half and the roots held the trunk straight. Hopefully it will stay put next spring.

Thanks so much

• curtis
    9 years ago

OK, tie the branches where you want them and they will stay. How long to leave tied depends on the size of the branch. In a month you can untie and see where you are on them and retie as necessary. You can pull to the left or right as well to improve the shape. Anything more then a month you may want to tie to a different spot to avoid having a pinched spot or shall we call it a dent there.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

A piece of metal electric conduit or even rebar can be used. For straightening push one or the other into the ground next to the tree and then use electric tape to force the tree into a straight position- first taping the trunk and working your way up taping tightly to the post in several spots.

The branch isn't partially snapped, is it?

• Dean-1956
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No the branch isn't snapped. It straightened up pretty easily so it should be just a matter of time till it stays put.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Then FN told you all you needed to know, I guess. I find that repositioned wood stiffens after first surge of growth- certainly by the end of Spring if you straightened it before growth started.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!