Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
guidance please, Royal Anne

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 9:12

Hello,
There is this Royall Anne cherry tree at my Granpa's place in central PA. The deer have gotten to it and reduced it to quite a mess. Most of my experience is with apple so I'm not real sure how to help it. I think it needs some pruning. At one time there were quite a few limbs and it had decent structure but now it looks much like this drawing. I took a pic but the flash overexposed and you can't see anything. Summer is the time for pruning stone fruits, correct? Should I head it back waist high and start over or prune the two upright limbs at about 5 feet and hope for the best? The crotch where the two upright limbs is about 3.5 feet high.

photo royalanne_zps71c83ac4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: guidance please, Royal Anne

I would cut the lateral branch to 5 feet, and next year before bud break, remove at least 1/3 of the buds on both branches. This will stimulate more lateral growth. Leave the outward facing buds, and removed buds facing inward, and in bad directions. I would not cut it down, as it may have few buds low at this age. Currently both branches are competing for central dominance. This is not good. Yes, do it now, or when a dry spell is expected. Do not prune if rain is predicted within 3 days, a week is better! You could also prune the central leader 5 inches to stimulate laterals. But if you do, you may have to use a new lateral as the central leader, which is fine anyway. Keep the central leader higher, and you may also want to spread crotch angle of right branch with a clothespin between central branch and righ branch, 60 to 45 degrees is what you want.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 9:57

I won't leave that narrow crotch. Take off one side or the other.

o

"I won't leave that narrow crotch. Take off one side or the other."

You could do that, but I would cut back the central leader too to stimulate more laterals, You could then cut it down a lot to make tree smaller. Also though if right branch is flexible you can "fix" angle as I mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here