Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird Netting & Pollination

Posted by paloaltomark 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 9:13

Hi

This year I placed bird netting over my apple trees to keep the squirrels from running off with the crop. I'm noticing that many fewer flowers were pollinated this year. I'm not sure if this is just a seasonal difference or if the bird netting in some way interfered with the pollinators. In theory the netting was wide enough to allow bees and other insect pollinators to the flowers. What do you folks think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird Netting & Pollination

Bird netting with holes big enough for bees is unlikely to cause poor pollination. Bees are very good at sensing and reaching their food sources.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 12 at 1:03

Bird block can definitely hinder pollination, at least in my locale. The small holes seems to block out a large number of honeybees, the big bumbles, hummers and possibly the smaller hover bees. My observations have been that pollinators prefer unfettered access. Put the bird block on after fruit set to be safe. There is nothing to be gained by blocking birds from flowers, and possibly grabbing a buggy meal that helps you in the long run.

Word to the wise, birds are good to have around. They are fun to watch, make nice sounds, and remind us that we share living space with other creatures. No birds = no humans. Block the birds from your fruit if they are taking more than their share. But do remember to leave them some fresh water in multiple locations - I have found that this makes them less apt to peck at fruit. I'm bird friendly and have never had a devastating bug infestation in almost 30 years at the same location.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 12 at 1:12

I should add that squirrels and rats are deterred somewhat by bird block, my guess is that they think it is some kind of trap. Again, I would wait until after fruit set to apply the bird block to deter rodents.

o

I put bird netting over my plants and it did hinder pollination. The problem I have is a mix of SHB and Rabbiteyes in the same area. I waited as long as I could to put up the netting but once my SHB berries started turning color I had to put it up. The problem was the Rabbiteyes were still flowering. I didnt notice any more bees in side the netting and actually saw several bumble bees attempt to get to the flowers but quickly turned away once seeing the netting. Thankfully most of the flowers were already pollinated on the Rabbiteyes but I still missed out on some production. That may not be the case everywhere but that was my experience this spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here