Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to prune new blueberry growth.

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 9:13

The new growth on my blueberry bushes is approaching 10". Should I prune the tips or just let them grow? Last year I let them grow and the new growth stopped at about 10" or so. They seem a little more vigorous this year, so I was wondering if I should tip them or just let them go, and prune them next spring if necessary? Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to prune new blueberry growth.

I beleive most pruning on blueberries is done by cane removal, and that is well after they are established. The only time I have tipped them back is with winter injury or something that just got drooping lanky.

Why do you want to tip them? How old are they?

o

Let them grow. Blueberries usually have two flushes of growth, the first usually stops near berry maturity, where the energy of growth is moved to the berries. Once the berries are gone, then there is a second flush of growth. The first flush gives you next year's buds, and the second may or may not produce fruit the next year. The new canes will usually have the growth tip die off, which is normal. Pruning is usually done in the off season. Unless you have special reasons to prune during the warm season (such as a requirement to keep them short), let them grow. Tall vigorous shoots will give you the best yields.

o

Capoman, thanks, that's exactly what happened last year on my Bluecrop. First flush, then at the end of the year a couple of new canes shot up, and sure enough, the tips died off and I snipped the dead tops off. That's why I was asking. Where the tops of last years new shoots were pruned, there are about 6 branches now. Didn't know if I should prune the new branches to get it to branch out even more. I'll leave them alone. Funny, on my Blueray, the tops of last years new canes are full of berries only, and no branches. There are small branches and leaves way down below the berries. I thought that was kind of strange looking, but just left the berries alone, not knowing if I should do anything about it. Thanks again. Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here