Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum trees leaves have holes after spraying

Posted by Jerseymec 6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 9:18

Something seems to be eating at my plum leaves. Does anyone know what could have caused it? Is it an insect or does it have some disease? Is there any spray I could use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum trees leaves have holes after spraying

captan

o

harvestman, would you please elaborate more? I would like to know what is causing the holes. Is it captan or are you suggesting captan as a cure? Thank you.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 10:49

Captan is a fungicide, so you are correct to ask for clarification.

Your tree looks healthy to me, but you may have used some fertilizer high in N. This makes leaves/plants more inviting to sucking and chomping bugs. It wouldn't hurt to go out at night with a flashlight and see if you can spot your leaf munchers, but otherwise I wouldn't spray because of a few holes.

o

Just guessing with "shot hole disease"?

o

Yes you are right its happening over night. Some insect is eating it the same night I spray it with a homemade fruit tree spray I found on the internet. Does anyone have experience with this?
http://pestcontroloptions.com/insect-control/homemade-fruit-tree-spray#more-136

o

I spray early morning as the instructs suggest on the site.

o

Sorry, I was saying that some plum varieties get shot holes as a result of Captan application if my memory is serving me correctly. It was just a shot in the dark on my part and I should have mentioned that such tiny wounds are of no consequence unless they become much more prevalent.

My response was made while I was very tired and I apolagize for any confusion I created.

o

Hi. My plum trees have a lot of small holes as well, but much worse than yours. I haven't been able to find whatever is eating them in the act, but have sprayed several times with both neem oil and spinosad. Both helped a lot as long as I was on top of it, but neither has managed to work long term. Perhaps nothing does as we humans have been creating super bugs all over the planet. I think I'll go out and see if I can find anything besides slugs and snails this evening. Anyway, I doubt your damage is from aphids or trips as they both cause the leaves to curl, and that doesn't seem to be the case with yours. I'd rule out caterpillers as well because they don't mind the light of day. Personally, I'd be reluctant to use something as toxic as Captan, but perhaps you feel differently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here