Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseymec

Plum trees leaves have holes after spraying

Jerseymec
10 years ago

Something seems to be eating at my plum leaves. Does anyone know what could have caused it? Is it an insect or does it have some disease? Is there any spray I could use?

Comments (14)

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

captan

• andrew_swmo
    10 years ago

harvestman, would you please elaborate more? I would like to know what is causing the holes. Is it captan or are you suggesting captan as a cure? Thank you.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Captan is a fungicide, so you are correct to ask for clarification.

Your tree looks healthy to me, but you may have used some fertilizer high in N. This makes leaves/plants more inviting to sucking and chomping bugs. It wouldn't hurt to go out at night with a flashlight and see if you can spot your leaf munchers, but otherwise I wouldn't spray because of a few holes.

• daemon2525
    10 years ago

Just guessing with "shot hole disease"?

• Jerseymec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes you are right its happening over night. Some insect is eating it the same night I spray it with a homemade fruit tree spray I found on the internet. Does anyone have experience with this?
    http://pestcontroloptions.com/insect-control/homemade-fruit-tree-spray#more-136

• Jerseymec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spray early morning as the instructs suggest on the site.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Sorry, I was saying that some plum varieties get shot holes as a result of Captan application if my memory is serving me correctly. It was just a shot in the dark on my part and I should have mentioned that such tiny wounds are of no consequence unless they become much more prevalent.

My response was made while I was very tired and I apolagize for any confusion I created.

• RUReddy
    10 years ago

Hi. My plum trees have a lot of small holes as well, but much worse than yours. I haven't been able to find whatever is eating them in the act, but have sprayed several times with both neem oil and spinosad. Both helped a lot as long as I was on top of it, but neither has managed to work long term. Perhaps nothing does as we humans have been creating super bugs all over the planet. I think I'll go out and see if I can find anything besides slugs and snails this evening. Anyway, I doubt your damage is from aphids or trips as they both cause the leaves to curl, and that doesn't seem to be the case with yours. I'd rule out caterpillers as well because they don't mind the light of day. Personally, I'd be reluctant to use something as toxic as Captan, but perhaps you feel differently.

• dsstavros
    7 years ago

Sorry for this post being in 2016, but I have a plum bush/tree, and just noticed the the leaves, especially new growth, were being eaten. As it was daylight when I noticed it (it is now dark or I would attach a photo), I saw small bugs in flight. I shook the lower branches of the bush/tree and all of them flew out, but immediately returned. Doesn't appear to be affecting the fruit, but they sure are going crazy on the leaves.

• dsstavros
    7 years ago

This portion of the damage to the leaves on my plum tree applies, found at http://www.treehelp.com/citrus-insects-diseases/  I will make mention that the leaves are not curled, the outer edges of the new growth of leaves are chewed.

Citrus Whitefly

The citrus whitefly is a
    tiny white winged insect that is about 1/12 of an inch in length. It is
    most commonly found feeding on the underside of the tree’s leaves. When
    the branches are shaken, the Citrus whitefly will rapidly take flight
    and can be seen fluttering around the tree. In addition to feeding on
    the citrus tree, the whiteflies also lay their eggs on the underside of
    the leaves. When the eggs hatch, the juveniles are small oval, almost
    transparent larva, which attach themselves to the underside of the
    leaves and begin sucking the sap from the leaves. As a result, the
    tree’s leaves begin to curl and appear to be covered with a sticky,
    sooty mold substance.

The mold like substance is actually
    honeydew that is excreted by the whiteflies because they are not able to
    metabolize all of the sugars contained in the leaf sap. The honeydew
    can often be seen dripping from the tree’s leaves and becomes an
    attractant to other insects such as ants.

Over the growing season, several
    generations of whiteflies can emerge. To effectively control Citrus
    Whiteflies spray the tree with Bug Buster or Trounce.
    It is hard to achieve full control of the adult flies, but several
    sprayings of the tree with either Trounce or Bug Buster will
    significantly reduce the juvenile population and in doing so the overall
    population.

• Ged King
    3 years ago

I can't see bugs on my plumb tree leaves,but some leafs are curling,yet I can't see mites,what is this,and would spraying with detergent soap help

• Ged King
    3 years ago

And there's small

• Ged King
    3 years ago

There's small

• Ged King
    3 years ago

Holes