Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_ny_gw

Spring status - temps, blooms (long post)

Dan.NY
10 years ago

This spring has mostly brought a smile to my face. My orchard has finally matured to the point where every apple tree I have planted is finally blooming nicely. The exception to this is two I planted last spring.

My pears have been blooming regularly now for 2 years. Nice Asian pears and a bartlett. All doing well.

My reliance peaches have been doing well for 3-4 years now. This year my redstar has matured to the point it will bear fruit. (maybe..)

Of the 12 trees I planted last spring, I lost about half due to deer predation. Last fall the deer broke through my fairly cheap plastic mesh fence. Despite mending, putting up wire, deer found their way through and ate from deer height down on all trees. Sadly, all new trees were chopped down to nothing. My white peaches made it happily as I wanted them to survive. I put up a new fence this spring and they have stayed out so far.

The sad part of this spring is the 27 degree temps reported by weather.com . I fear a repeat of last spring is going to happen. I had zero pears, a very very few apples (deer got a few of the few) but peaches made it well.

Pears were done blooming, peaches were near the end, apples were full bloom.

Lets hope things survive for everyone..

I attached a picture of my Empire apple tree. Such a pretty picture..

Good luck and happy spring to all.

Dan

Comments (4)