Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pecked Peached?

Posted by MrsG47 6-7 RI (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 9:30

My peach tree is at shuck-split and beyond. I have sprayed my first cover of triaz./immunox combo. This morning I pulled off five 'pea-sized' peaches because they had a hole pecked into them, revealing the bright green inside. The contrast between the outside silver fuzz on the peach and the green inside made them easy to spot. It was not a moon-shaped curculio bite. It was one little hole. Too soon to net? Sprayed again, just in case.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pecked Peached?

Those are probably bird pecks. I pulled off a dozen or so of them last night. They seem to like my nectarines the most. Watch out for thrushes, they love to peck. Other minor damage at this time of the year can come from stinkbugs (catfacing of fruits) and earwigs (various nibbled-on looks).

Scott

o

Monofiliment might just be your answer. It really works and is cheap

Here is a link that might be useful: Birds and monofilament

o

Thanks Scott, just really what the holes looked like. I have seen many wrens and chickadees on my fruit trees lately. I think they're eating the small green worms on the leaves. (Can't spray due to blossoms). I looked today and there were no more pecks.

Thanks Randy, that is really interesting. I like the teepee idea over trees. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here