Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avo tree turning black

Posted by Blackthumb3 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:44

It's a pancho tree that's been in the ground for about a month. Well all the leaves fell but by reading other post I wasn't too worried about it. I watered it twice a week fir about 45 min with a small sprinkler and it started to do very well with a lot of new growth. Now after a 3in rain fall we got I didn't water one week and now it's turning black. I cut off the black limbs but wated to know if its drying up or is it some kind of fireblight. Thanks again fir all the advise on this board it really helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avo tree turning black

Avocadoes don't get fireblight.
It's not normal for an evergreen tree to lose all its leaves.
Avocadoes do get root rot.

The only way to know if you are watering too much or too little is to stick a trowel in the soil & look/feel.

At this early stage after planting, the greatest need for moisture is in the region of the original rootball.

o

So this tree has root rot, any suggestions on hot to cure the problem. Should I dig it up and cut bad roots or hold off on watering, this is my fourth avo tree and they all have died this way. I have two plum, two cherries, three peaches, two lychee, two pear and all are doing well. I've killed Avos and the mangos.

o

So this tree has root rot, any suggestions on hot to cure the problem. Should I dig it up and cut bad roots or hold off on watering, this is my fourth avo tree and they all have died this way. I have two plum, two cherries, three peaches, two lychee, two pear and all are doing well. I've killed Avos and the mangos.

o

When the previous avocados died, did you dig them up and look at the roots? If they were black and shortened, it's likely root rot.

If the tree has root rot, there's no available treatment.

If root rot is the underlying problem, you must use only root rot resistant plants in that area or nearby, possibly your entire yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here