Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's true what they say about the box stores

Posted by quackmaster (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 9:45

I've read quit a few post about staying away from the box store fruit trees. Most of my fruit trees come from our local nursery. I bought one peach tree from lowes (Florida king), a low chill variety because I live in zone 9a. Well I had to exchange it because it died so I picked out another FK. Well right after I checked out I was over looking the tree as I was putting it in the truck and it had two florida king tags on the top of the tree and another orange tag at the bottom that said Loring. I googled Loring real quick and come to find out it needs 750 to 850 chill hours which we never even come close to, our coldest winter will get between 400 to 600 hrs. Needless to say I got my money back real quick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's true what they say about the box stores

This is the other tag, I'm guessing this is the correct tag but I wasn't taking any chances.

o

Yes, always check for the wholesalers tag on the tree. That is usually good. The problem is when the big box stores put their own tags on it.

Actually I was going to plant a tree for someone yesterday and she bought a red delicious, which needs a pollenizer but that is not listed anywhere on the store sticker.

o

I've got one for ya.... Our local Walmart isn't even trying anymore. Their trees were labeled "APPLE - RED" and
"PLUM" . that's it!

o

I buy trees from lowe's when the clear them out for the summer or fall. I can get them for $6 and they get them from a local Texas nursery so I don't worry too much about them. I just check the nursery tag. I have an advantage of having 56 acres to play with so I am not limited on what I can plant. If I get the wrong tree it is not as big a deal as it would be for someone with limited space.

o

I've got one for ya.... Our local Walmart isn't even trying anymore. Their trees were labeled "APPLE - RED" and
"PLUM" . that's it!

I've noticed the same trend for berries at both Lowes and Home Depot. I've seen blueberries labelled as "Rabbiteye" with no cultivar named, as well as raspberries identified merely as "black" or "red."

o

"I've noticed the same trend for berries at both Lowes and Home Depot. I've seen blueberries labelled as "Rabbiteye" with no cultivar named, as well as raspberries identified merely as "black" or "red."

Wierd, in MD and VA, all the home depot/lowes I've looked at (and I'm a plant browser in the spring, visit a lot of places), they've all been labled as to the variant.

o

Seven years ago, my neighbor bought two plums that were labeled "Santa Rosa plums" at the big box stores. One tree turned out to be a green skinned plum--very delicious and juicy-- and the other one produced red skin plums--I don't think that it's a Santa Rosa plum because my Santa Rosa plum is way different than my neighbor's.

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:25

I live in a area that can get down to 16 in the winter. HD was selling orange trees and I accually saw a person buy one. Thats crazy it will die the first winter. Never never believe what a sales person tells you from one of those stores. The sales staff has no knowledge what so ever. Their last job was working @ FoodMart.

o

I have an orange tree from Lowes. Its doing fantastic, and I get fruit from it.

It just comes in over the winter.

o

The blueberries at our our local Walmart are labeled simply "southern high bush". Hmmm. Blueberries need 2 different varieties to fruit. How would one know what they bought? Oh, did I mention we live in northern Ohio. *Southern* High Bush?????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here