Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will fig tree awaken or should I prune aggressively?

Posted by hifromprovidence 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 9:51

I wrapped my fig tree in blankets and tarps as I have in prior years when it's been fine but this year the thing looks very sad still without a sign of any buds or leafing. Many of the branches that were new growth last summer are brownish and fairly stiff when I try to bend them. Do I need to whack all of these off and get a fresh start? Or should I give it a bit more time. These branches are breakable and not as bendy as what I'd think a healthy branch should be. Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will fig tree awaken or should I prune aggressively?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:11

Many branches probably are dead. Scratch test will tell or usually the color. The dead ones can be trimmed out. But it's not possible to tell where they will sprout back. So waiting until they sprout is the best bet.

o
RE: Will fig tree awaken or should I prune aggressively?

Oh, too bad, but it's a bad winter for everybody around this region; and I'm about 30 mi. east of you. My very small, new-last-year fig tree, covered with hay last winter, is only now sprouting one leaf on its two twigs. So do let it have more time, but be ready to prune like crazy if needed.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here