Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use grass clippings as mulch for fruit trees?

Posted by BrittneyT2 6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 9:58

I have a huge lawn that I do not use any chemicals on. Can I use the grass clippings as mulch for my new fruit trees? I planted 33 trees and don't have any other mulch sources on my property, so I'd like to use the grass if it will work well for the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use grass clippings as mulch for fruit trees?

Brittney,

I use grass clippings for my fruit trees and it works fine. All natural and water conservation also.

Tony

o

Thanks Tony!

o

It works for many things (great in veg gardens), but ultimately when the trees come into bearing you may need to stay away from such an nitrogen rich mulch, depending on your soil. Grass clippings really invigorate plants and a bearing fruit tree functions best at a state of moderate vigor.

If you pile too much fresh clippings at once it can also be suffocating if it starts to rot anaerobically. If it stinks, this is the case.

o

And keep it away from the trunk.

o

Grass can become matted and compacted to the point that it will actually shed water instead of letting it soak through to the ground. Ideally you would use something more like chipped wood or even straw. As stated grass clippings are also high in nitrogen which may cause excess vegetative growth and my also cause your young trees to not harden off quickly enough in the fall and potentially winterkill, depending on your climate.

o

Grass clippings high in nitrogen? I very much doubt it. Quite on the contrary. You need to add some form of nitrogen (organic or inorganic) to compost it well. Throw some fertilizer under the trees first than cover with several sheets of newspaper and then put your grass clippings on top of it. This should work fine. Tested.

o

Harbin, almost any green plant tissue is high in nitrogen- just check this link- I have seen organic fertilizers with a lower N content than grass clippings (about 4%).

Here is a link that might be useful: N content of grass clippings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here