Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID this fruit

Posted by olympia_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 10:00

This is growing on my 3 in 1 Asia pear tree from Miller. It does not look like a Asia pear to me. Can anyone here tell me what type of pear this is? It has red tone in the skin, more like european pear.Thanks.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID this fruit

Looks Euro at this stage - but not all 'Asian' pears are round.
But, scionwood mix-ups do occur, and it's possible that a European variety was accidentally grafted on.

Or the 'framework' may be a European variety, chosen for its branching habit, and this is just a branch of that 'base' tree, and not the additional grafted-on varieties - so...you may actually have a 4-in-1.
I'm not exactly sure how they build those multi-variety trees for commercial sale - I have multi-variety trees in my orchard, but they originated as 'foster homes' for scions that I got when I didn't have individual rootstocks available, so the 'Keiffer' tree now has 8 or 10 additional selections growing in it on various branches.

o

Lucky, I agree. The Asian pear is round as far as I know. The color should be pale yellow or brown not red. This is on one of the grafted branch. I am wondering I was sent a wrong type of tree?? I just planted this tree last year so it is first time I saw its fruit.

o

I've grown 'Ya Li' which is a pyriform Asian pear, not round as most are. Even though the shape is pyriform, even at a young age they just look "different" - skin is a brighter green and glossy. Hard to verbalize or explain, but easy to see in the orchard with a little experience.

In the photo, the pear I see screams "European" to me, and so do the leaves, they are the more pointed, less rounded, leaves of P. communis, not the somewhat more rounded leaves of P. pyrifolia or P. bretschneideri (Ya Li and other pyriform Asian pears).

o

At least you got an edible pear out of it. I sent off for two seckle pear trees and ended up with a couple of Bradfords instead. LOL

o

Could very easily be a Bartlett- but there are others with that classic shape. Not uncommon for Bartletts to have some red on them. You could do worse!

o

Thanks guys for cheering me up. I hope it is YaLi. I like YaLi's aroma and juicy crispy texture. But, I really doubt it is Yali.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here