Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tree issue

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 10:02

My Royal Lee (3 years old) is doing great and carrying about two dozen half-grown fruits. My Minnie Royal (right next to the RL) has tried to leaf out...then all the leaf sprouts have turned brown and dried up! What is going on??? Watering schedules are same on both trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tree issue

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:22

Sounds like the Minnie has died. Can't tell you why without more info or a picture, probably not then.

o

F...I know what you mean. I have only had one other tree do this (eucalyptus)...and I found my evil neighbor had killed it with a copper rod. Short of him hitting this with roundup...it baffles me. No borers or physical signs. Maybe lack of water last summer...but that seems like a stretch. Dunno...

o

I have a newly planted Asian Pear tree that has blackened leaves like what you are describing on your Cherry Tree. It has been a hot Spring in San Diego and the consensus was that it needed some shade. I'm crossing my fingers that my tree survives the heat and sun and leafs out again soon

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Leaves on Asian Pear

o

K...if the black leaves are restricted to the branch ends...you may have fireblight. Investigate that online ( very common problem). If so, cut out (well below the disease).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here