Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck60

Green LIght fruit tree spray

chuck60
14 years ago

Since Bonide fruit tree spray seems to be out of favor, I've been looking for other broad use orchard sprays and found the Green Light product. It contains pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide and neem oil. In fact, I apparently bought some last year because last evening as I was sitting on the patio I saw a bag worm nest in one of my ornamental plums. When I looked in my chemical arsenal I found the forgotten bottle of Green Light. It knocked down the bag worms fairly quickly, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with it as a general orchard insecticide/fungicide? I used to be in natural products research, so just because the active ingredients are "natural" (though the PBO is "semi-synthetic"), that does not impress me. Some of the most toxic compounds known are natural products. I also haven't seen really good data on neem, either as an insecticide or fungicide. However, I would think that simply as an oil it might have some efficacy. One plus is the nice citrusy smell!

I bet some of this has been discussed before, but my connection at home discourages the kind of search that might find earlier threads on the product. So....any experiences to relate?

Chuck

Comments (6)

• nhardy
    14 years ago

I have been looking for a fruit tree spray too. I have a baby Jonathan apple tree. In the past used Ferti-lome fruit tree spray. I wrote to Ferti-lome and they said they renamed it Triple Action Plus. Now it controls mites too. He said that I don't have to buy a separate dormant oil spray. I even tried writing to the University of Missouri extension office to get their advice on products & disease for my region. I guess he is just too busy to even write back. According to the University extension web site I need to buy something for Fire Blight too.

Does anyone hate Green Light or Ferti-lome FTS?

• chuck60
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where are you in Missouri? MU has an orchard near New Franklin where I assume they do research on apples and other stuff like chestnuts. They let charitable organizations pick the apples free for distribution to food banks and such. Pickers are allowed to pick some for themselves after they fill a quota, and a friend of mine got some beautiful Jonathans and Golden Delicious. Perfect fruit which had obviously been protected. I got an e-mail address for that place and received a quick reply to a question about CAR, but it has been long enough that I don't have it anymore. I don't know how bad fire blight is in my area near Columbia. I don't recall the specific answer to my CAR question, but I think one of the controls suggested was the active ingredient in Immunox. Try looking up MU New Franklin orchard to see if you can find an e-mail address.

Chuck

• alan haigh
    14 years ago

Just read the "Peach diseases preventing" topic

• nhardy
    14 years ago

Chuck, I'm down on Hwy 70, drive east until you see the big Arch. I'm in one of those little cities in the county, not the city thank you. I wrote to Nathan Brandt. His office is in Clayton. If I didn't have to pay to parking, I would stop by the office. I'll give him a break and resend the e-mail. He could be on vacation. Maybe the guy who handles St. Charles County would write back to me if I can't get an answer in a few weeks from Nathan. Anyway, I'll start the hunt for the Ferti-lome triple action. It worked in the past without a problem until straight line winds brought down the dwarf Jonathan apple tree. I'll hold off on buy the fire blight spray until I can get an answer from the University.

• nhardy
    14 years ago

Well, Nathan wrote back today. The biggest problem for my apple tree will be codling moth larvae he says. He sent me an attachment for the the other little things to treat for. Now the hunt to the chemicals listed on the attachment for my apple tree.

• mizgiz29_msn_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if this can be used on African Violets?