Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seneca Plum - a complete dud?

Posted by nicholerh 8b (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 10:08

I have a young Seneca Plum - too young to be bearing any fruit yet - but I feel like I've made a mistake in getting this tree. Everything I am reading in forums about this tree basically says "delicious fruit, hardly ever bears anything"

Anyone have a Seneca that bears fruit regularly? I only have room for one plum so I'm wondering if I should put something more reliable there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seneca Plum - a complete dud?

Well, I can tell you mine is a wonderful plum, but it doesn't bear heavily.

I'd think Z8b would be pushing it for this plum anyway. That's awfully warm for a tree that was developed in Ithaca, NY.

If I were an Z 8b kind of guy, I'd be looking at Japanese plums and pluots. I know a lot of people think Pluots have pollination problems, but my 'Geo-pride' pluot was easily pollinated by the 'Shiro' plum and vice versa, until it finally froze to death.

o

Here in NY state it is mostly a dud although I have a couple of sites where it bears regularly and fully for reasons I've never understood. It's a fine tasting plum but in our conditions I'd recommend Castleton as a plum ripening at that time over Seneca.

Castleton is a smaller plum and therefore more affected by the skin. Both are prune plums and get up very high brix if left on the tree long enough but Castleton is the most reliable cropper of all the large number of E plum varieties I grow. It also bears younger than Seneca, has a more spreading form and is naturally semi-dwarf.

I've heard of the Seneca bearing well on the West coast, I believe, and there must be some reason Raintree carries it.

J and E plums are not interchangeable in my opinion and it's worth growing both if you have room and the climate for it.

I would keep it if I was you and graft on other varieties.

o

I live in Seattle - so while it doesn't really get too cold here it doesn't exactly get very warm either. My little Seneca Plum is a very pretty little tree. It has nice form, nice and open. I have room for only ONE plum. My neighbors have Italian plums so I have cross pollination covered for a European variety. We don't get enough heat for me to gamble with plum crosses or J Plums.

Since I have room for only one plum I may dig it up this next Feb/March. My dad has 5 acres north of me (8a) so I'll plant it up there and see how it does - we have room to play around there whereas with my own yard space is a premium.

Time to browse through raintree's plum list again. I like the looks of the gage plums, victoria, Reine de Mirabelle... oh choices

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here