Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black gold Cherry - pest

Posted by queenskitchen 6B/7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:12

I noticed that the leaves closest to to the top of the tree were deformed. my lapins nearby (which is a few weeks ahead of the black gold) shows no leaf issues.

Upon inspection, i found a tiny inchworm/skinny catepillar looking bug in one of the deformed but not opened leaves. There are maybe 6 flowers on the tree currently and i was hoping to be able to taste a cherry or three this year (planted last spring).

Is there a spray i should use that wont taint the cherries or a spray i should use and forget about the fruit for this year?

I will try to find another one tonight and take a picture but it was tiny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black gold Cherry - pest

All kinds of sprays exist, and no it won't taint the cherries one bit. If you grow cherries you have to spray for insects and fungus, and net the tree for birds. Otherwise you will never taste the fruit. Especially in your area. I'll let the more expierenced growers tell you what spray to use, I'm still learning and testing many different types.

o

I am growing in containers if that changes the potential advice.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 21:11

As container trees don't usually get too big, you can probably just check the entire tree. If there are only a few, I'd get rid of them by hand, rather than trying to spray something. That's what I did last year on my apple trees (the little worms sound similar), and there was significantly more ground to cover.

o

Here is a pic of the top of the tree where the damage is. I didn't see any additional worms but I didn't check the tiny emerging leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here