Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kingston black experiences

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 10:14

I posted this last year and didn't get much feedback. Hoping someone with a mature tree can chime in:

I have a KIngston Black tree that must be close to ten years old now.
Every year it breaks dormancy very late....weeks after the other apples. It is slow to bloom and rather low in vigor, but does seem to get up and going by mid summer.

The tree has yet to crop for me.I get a few off it the last 3 years, and this year it set a pretty good bloom, but everything else is done (and always is). So I need to either find another late blooming pollinator...or give up on this tree/rework it/tear it out , ect....

I am trying to figure out if this is normal for the variety...I know several of the english cider apples are late to break dormancy...like my browns apple...but this is really really late. Every year I think it must have died and then it finally pushes the buds.

Or is this indicative of an ongoing and significant stress? The tree is in a marginal location for wet feet, and I have read that root rot can cause symptoms similar....and it did have some borers a few years ago, but has healed up well since then with no further attack...or at least none that were allowed to go very far.

by mid summer the tree looks happy and healthy and normal....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kingston black experiences

I have a Kingston Black tree that was planted bare root last spring. It also leafed out very slowly this spring. Significantly slower than the three apples trees next to it - Enterprise, Rubinette and Winter Banana.

Maybe just a behavior of the variety?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here