Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spraying Pecan Trees

Posted by insteng none (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 10:24

When is the recommended time to spray pecan trees with Zinc? I have a couple trees at my place in the country that are probably 75 years old and I want to spray them this year to see how much difference it will make in how much they produce. Last year they hardly had any pecans at all due to the drought. Luckily I have a pump sprayer I can hook to my tractor that will reach the top of the trees easily.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spraying Pecan Trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 12:54

When I had a pecan variety test orchard we sprayed as soon in the spring as there was significant leaves, about now. Then at two week intervals another 2-3 sprays. Basically until the leaves were fully expanded.

o

Thanks, that is what I thought. I need to replace the pump on my sprayer and I will spray this weekend. It will be nice to have a lot of pecans this year. I have a couple small ones planted as well but it will be a few years before they will produce

o

Don't forget to put on some nitrogen fertilizer, too - productive nut trees are heavy N-feeders.
The old-timers often claimed that if you got a box of Red Devil lye and sprinkled it out around the dripline of the canopy, that it would stimulate non-productive older trees to come back into bearing. Never tried it, but my dad swore by it - don't know if that was due to an abrupt change of pH - or just providing some needed potassium

o

I'm planning on spreasding out some 34-0-0 fertilizer that I use on my pastures around my trees as well. It should give them plenty of nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here