Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvfd236_gw

Plum Tree Pruining Help

Dvfd236
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my plum tree's second year. This pic was taken several weeks ago. I know have tons of marble size plums growing. My question is how should i go about pruining this tree to make sure it's on the right track for a successful furture?

Thanks,
BG

Comments (4)

• bart1
    9 years ago

You'll need to control the height and control the shape.

Figure out how high you want it to be and then cut it back. For my trees, I don't want to have to use ladders so I keep them small.

Next is pruning it in an open center (or vase shaped). An open center lets light get into a nice big area (the inside of the "vase") which will allow your fruit to fully ripen. It looks like the lower half of the tree has some nicely placed and angled scaffold branches so you might only have to take out that tall middle branch (one part goes off to the right, the other goes almost straight up)

• Dvfd236
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great thank you!. So i need to remove the straight up part and the large branch to the slight right but strait up?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Also any inward growing and touching branches can be taken off. Brady

• murkwell
    9 years ago

Aside from pruning, you can also train. That is, if a branch is roughly where you want it but growing in the wrong direction, you can tie it to something to force it the direction that you want it to grow.

After one season it will have taken a set in that orientation and you can release the constraint.