Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Need to Replace an Apricot

gardener365
9 years ago

Hi,

I ask for your recommendations for my Mom. She had a 'Goldcot' and rabbits completely stripped all the bark this winter. It's for sure a gonner.

She lives in zone 5b Illinois with awesome, black, soil. Full sun.

I went to the 2014 Nursery Review thread to find an online retailer but am a bit overwhelmed. She needs a dwarf, that's a must.

Flavor, self-pollinating, fresh eating, sweet flavor are what she is looking for. Cultivar recommendations and which nursery to purchase from is what I would like your opinions about.

Thanks a million,

Dax

Comments (12)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Your choices for dwarf are very limited from what I know. Even the dwarfing rootstocks I've tried haven't slowed down apricots much. They are easy to prune for size control. Why not learn if needed and teach her.

For a variety, Tomcot.

• carol6ma_7ari
    9 years ago

I got a dwarf Moorpark from an online fruit & nut tree nursery in Missouri and it's doing well. Moorpark is good down through zone 5.

Carol

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see your name around a lot fruitnut. I'll look at this Tomcot.

I'm pruning her trees. I know what I'm doing.

Thanks a lot,

Dax
    P.s. Thank you Carol for responding. I will look at that.

9 years ago

There is another variety or two worth considering, Orangered and Robada. They are my two best tasting apricots. It's just that they aren't proven like Tomcot.

Orangered was bred and tested in NJ so should be adapted to IL humid climate. Fruit is on the small size but flavor is superb

Robada was bred in CA so is not proven in a humid or cold winter climate. If sprayed for brown rot it has potential. It is the largest fruit of the three and tastes about like Orangered.

Tomcot was bred in WA state but has proven itself across the country. It has good size and tastes good but not as good as the other two IME.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like Raintree is the only nursery that's still shipping & has 'Tomcot'. I've done business with them and wasn't overwhelmed to say it nicely.

Otherwise, I may as well wait and order an Orangered from Grandpa's. I don't see it being offered anywhere else, possibly from Bay Laurel, but I don't see it currently, there. Google is being kind of difficult, today.

This other, 'Robada' is being offered at Stark Bros. I spray anyway, so I may pull the trigger, however, I'd really like to know asap please where else 'Orangered' may be being offered.

And I called Grandpa's and had to leave a message. I hope they call back today because tomorrow is their last day accepting orders.

Thanks you much,

Dax

9 years ago

The general opinion of Raintree is that they offer very good trees. Expensive but good has been my experience.

The CA nurseries don't ship this late in the yr. So I don't know another source of Orangered.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very good, thanks. You know what.. I was thinking of Willis.....

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thinking about ordering a Robada from Stark. Shipping and the tree is 20.94 vs. 34.35 for Tomcot at Raintree.

I'll wait to hear any last advice. I am aware Robada hasn't been proven, however, the flavor rave about Robada is steering me toward it. You guys seem to rave about Robada and Orangered on another thread I read.

Dax

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I wouldn't get it in place of a Tomcot, but if you are going to get two trees, a Montrose from Burnt Ridge is a good option. They sell it in "Extra large" size, which for me (last year) was just under 1" caliper (very large for a bare root), with a huge root system. I've got a few fruits on it this year.

9 years ago

Montrose is a good choice in Z5. I didn't mention it because I have no first hand experience and haven't yet heard any firsthand reports.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are the best. That's why I came here.

I'll call this a wrap.

Dax

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Krymsk (2 I think) is very dwarfing on apricots. In fact its too dwarfing for me, the trees are not growing fast enough.

You don't really need a dwarf root anyway, just prune it regularly and you can keep the size whatever you want.

Scott