Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

Problem with Miller 4 in 1 apple tree

alexander3_gw
11 years ago

Hello,

A friend of mine ordered two of the "Antique" 4 in 1 apple trees from Miller Nurseries, and gave one to me as a gift. The varieties listed are

Golden Russet

Snow (Fameuse)

Summer Rambo

Roxbury Russet

Unfortunately, none of the branches are labeled on either tree. My friend called, and they told him that they don't label them.

Upon inspection, I could only see three grafts, and a couple graft scars. My friend found the same thing on his tree. I wrote to Miller with a description of the problem and photographs. I just heard back, and the email said that the branches should have been labeled (inconsistent with what they told my friend). They also said that the trunk is the 4th variety. I do not see any graft along the trunk, so I think the whole trunk is the rootstock. The description at their web site also says "With four separate grafts placed by hand on every rootstock, you can see why they take four times the wood and four times the work of regular grafts."

I just wrote back to them, but I'm getting the feeling that they are either trying to pull one over on us, or that at least some of the people there don't know what's going on.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of tree from Miller? Is it possible that there is a graft union along the lower portion of the trunk that is completely invisible? The trunk is about 3/4". Is it possible that they really do use one of the listed varieties as the rootstock?

Alex

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner