Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Miller 4 in 1 apple tree

Posted by alexander3 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 10:29

Hello,

A friend of mine ordered two of the "Antique" 4 in 1 apple trees from Miller Nurseries, and gave one to me as a gift. The varieties listed are
Golden Russet
Snow (Fameuse)
Summer Rambo
Roxbury Russet

Unfortunately, none of the branches are labeled on either tree. My friend called, and they told him that they don't label them.

Upon inspection, I could only see three grafts, and a couple graft scars. My friend found the same thing on his tree. I wrote to Miller with a description of the problem and photographs. I just heard back, and the email said that the branches should have been labeled (inconsistent with what they told my friend). They also said that the trunk is the 4th variety. I do not see any graft along the trunk, so I think the whole trunk is the rootstock. The description at their web site also says "With four separate grafts placed by hand on every rootstock, you can see why they take four times the wood and four times the work of regular grafts."

I just wrote back to them, but I'm getting the feeling that they are either trying to pull one over on us, or that at least some of the people there don't know what's going on.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of tree from Miller? Is it possible that there is a graft union along the lower portion of the trunk that is completely invisible? The trunk is about 3/4". Is it possible that they really do use one of the listed varieties as the rootstock?

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Miller 4 in 1 apple tree

That could be, but when you have 4 varieties as you show above, then the main leader was grafted a couple of years before, it could be the Snow (Fameuse) or,..I would take the most vigorous out of the 4.

o

I have 2 4-in-1 trees from Raintree. All the branches are labeled.

I would guess you'll have to wait until they fruit and go from there. Here is a pic of my 4-in-1 pluot:

Photobucket

o

Frank, that's more like what I was expecting. There were no instructions included with the tree. If they hadn't told me in the response email that the trunk was the 4th variety, I would have been rubbing off any new growth coming from the trunk. I'm still not convinced the trunk is really the 4th variety, since I can't see any evidence that the trunk was grafted onto the rootstock.

Alex

o

I'd question that the trunk is the 4th variety. That all sounds really fishy to me... Sounds like they ran out of 4 in 1s so they sent you a 3 in 1 and ripped off the tags so they could play stupid...! maybe not...but its very possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here