Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

Miracid

brandond
12 years ago

I was looking for a good water soluable fertilizer that I can place in my drip irrigation system that will fertilize and acidy. My research has pointed my toward this product. Is this a good product for fertilizing blueberry bushes. I need to get my ph down some. Will this dissolve in water well enough to place in a dripline. I do have other ways to fertilize. I use fish emulsion as well but need to lower ph so was leaning toward this product.

Comments (9)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Should be OK. If you can find a generic equivalent at a farm/feed store or even a discount store, it will save you a lot of money. The Scotts/Miracle Grow consortium charges a lot for the name, I guess it goes to the advertising budget.

• djofnelson
    12 years ago

I've used it for about 4 years at half strength (1/2 tbl per gallon) applied from a watering can every week or so from early spring until late summer with good results. Other folks here have posted similar results. I assume it would work fine with drip irrigation at an even more dilute rate, but I can't say for sure.

• ericwi
    12 years ago

I have used Miracid, aka Miracle-Gro for acid loving plants, on our blueberry shrubs. It works fine as a fertilizer, but it does not reduce soil pH enough at my location. Our native soil has pH around 7.6, way too high for blueberries. I use agricultural sulfur to lower soil pH, which I test twice a year, in the spring, and in the fall.

• tshia6br
    12 years ago

What is the ingrediant in miracid that is supposed to lower the ph, if there is sulfur it is not listed on the label.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Oh, one thing I'd like to throw out into the cybersphere -- during the roughly 20 years I worked at the garden center, I can remember probably at least 6 or 8 times when customers would come in seeking help because they purchased and applied MURIATIC ACID (Hydrochloric acid) instead of Miracid (which is a brand name for a fertilizer formulated for acid loving plants). One cusomter in particular I remember sprayed all kinds of stuff at his house with it -- evergreens, Japanese maples. It was fry city -- he had some really great photos of the damage. I assume that many plants could grow out of this, but not a good way to find out.

I wouldn't believe people could be this dumb unless I saw it myself.

• brandond
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wondering where you guys are buying the miracid. Lowes has the product that says for acid loving plants buts its not saying MIracid. I was wondering if this is the same thing. If fish emulsion is comparable I may end up using it but 30 nitrogen is a high number and seems that this product is very popular. I have been hearing amonium based forms of nitrogen are the way to go,not nitrate based.

• kokopelli5a
    12 years ago

You might want to pay a visit to your local doper-hydroponic store. They have the real deal there. I vaguely remember that they object to soluble fertilizers and favor liquid fertilizers, although I can't remember exactly why. The help there tends to be quite knowledgeable, naturally, and they will probably steer you to the right stuff. (hint: Its probably not named "liquid karma").

with respect to blueberries, I'm a little leery about using Miracid, as it gets its acidity from muriatic (hydrocloric) acid. I've been using a combination of phosphoric and nitric concrete etching acid on blueberries and I don't think I want to mix it with hydrochloric acid.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

I don't see anything in the ingredients of either Miracle Gro or Miracid that will PRODUCE much acidity. Perhaps they merely don't buffer or reduce acidity and also add the minerals (iron especially) that would be deficient in a non-acid soil for acid-loving plants.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/searchall