Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Girdled crabapple question

Posted by goudreau Maine (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:35

Hi,
Much to my delight my girdled crabapple tree is acting completely normal, leafing out and soon to bloom.
My question is, if the nutrients aren't flowing through the bark how is this possible? The tree is totally healthy. Do I need to worry about it diieing or did I somehow luck out?
The girdle is completely around the tree, about 4-6inches top to bottom.

Thanks, -Jeremiah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Girdled crabapple question

Here's another pic of the entire tree.

o

Unless you do some bridge-grafting or inarch grafting, everything above the girdled area will die. Sure, it looks good now, but it won't last.
I see it's already pushing new growth below the girdled area - if that's above the graft union, you can allow those shoots to grow, select the most vigorous, prune off the damaged trunk and be back to a similar stature within 2-3 years.

o

I guess my question is: why is it acting normal now when there's no flow of xylem or phloem? Is it left over nutrients in the above girdled area that's making it act normal now? And how long before I start to see it dye off? Have there been reports of trees healing over a girdled area? Grabbing at straws I know but curious non the less.
I would consider grafting but I don't have any dormant wood left.

o

It is surviving primarily off stored nutrition in the tissues above the damage. There is still some flow as well in the sap wood that is below the cambium, but that tissue while still alive is incapable of cell division and growth.... so it's clock is ticking.

I have seen some apples rebound after an incredible amount of bark cambium loss (horse pasture), but there was always some continuous cambium. I don't think any tree will recover from total girdling.

o

Agree, all the way downhill from here,.. unless there is just a little strip of bark not chewed down all the way to the wood, that might be the case on the opposite side of picture showing a slight hint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here