Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Persimmons from seed

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 10:36

Is there much chance of getting good fruit by growing up a persimmon seed?

There is a kind of persimmon, Amagaki, that can pretty much only be found in Japan, there is a single orchard here in Ca and the owner doesn't seem inclined to share the genetics. In my opinion they are the absolute best non-astringent persimmons in the world, they are delicious. I have a Japanese friend who would be happy to bring me some seeds from Amagaki's back in Japan, I know they would not be the same but is there any chance of getting something similar?

I think it would be a fun experiment, but if persimmons are anything like apples in the likelihood of getting good quality fruit from a seedling I don't think I'd want to bother.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Persimmons from seed

Hi peachymono,

What I have red that Amagaki in Japan means sweet non-astringent Kaki persimmon. Most likely Fuyu-gaki. Shibu-gaki are the astrigent type, you have to wait until they are soft before you can it.

Tony

o

The guy at the farmer's market said that they are a specific cultivar, I speak a little Japanese and I know that 'amai kaki' is sweet persimmon, but descriptive names like that are pretty common (tanenashi = seedless) and my friend has affirmed that he has gotten amagakis from the store that tasted much better than fuyus. I am fairly certain it is a unique cultivar, I know that I can't get a clone from a seed but I'm wondering if there is any chance of getting something even close to as good?

o

Mature kakis aren't often grown from seed so I don't know that there will be much good info around to answer your question. I do know of a seedling kaki (probably Hachiya) that had grown for many years in a neighbor's yard and bore fruit that looked identical to Hachiya but had clearly inferior flavor and sweetness.

o

You can go to Fruit and exotic nursery website, they have lots of Kaki. I pretty sure you can find the one close to the one you are looking for. Their persimmon trees are big and healthy when they ship to you.

Good luck.

Tony

o

I totally struck out growing persimmons from seed I collected last summer. The seeds were always kept moist and were stratified in the fridge a few months. Paw paw seeds were kept in the same way and most germinated. If some one knows how to germinate persimmon I'd like to know.

o

theaceofspades
I might have been lucky. I got a Fuyu persimmon fruit and liked it and I collected three seeds from it last fall. Some 8~10 weeks ago I potted the three seeds in a pot in potting soil and waited but nothing happened and was giving up when one of the seeds germinated recently and it is now 2" tall tender seedling. Now I am stuck with taking care of it which I will try (like my Guava plant in pot which has not fruited yet after 4 years in pot).

o

I get high rates of germination from both American and Asian persimmon and from pawpaw, treating all three types of seeds virtually identically. Once germinated, the requirements for the different species do change, but all are pretty easily grown. Some tips that come to mind:
-keep the seeds moist and cool from the time they are removed from the fruit, but not very damp or wet or they will rot. I use slightly moist peat moss
- stratify for at least 120 days. I keep in the 32 - 36F range
- germinate at 80F in a baggie in the moist peat moss

The germinated persimmon seeds are ready to be planted in a raised bed in full sun this time of year, and I obtain at least pencil thick plants by the end of the season in the case of American persimmon.

o

Right now I am growing seeds from my Giant Fuyu and my regular Fuyu. I have one regular Fuyu and I think about 10 Giants that have sprouted (very exciting!) and the ones that sprouted first are about 6 inches tall with 4 to 5 leaves on them as of today. I am planning on using them as rootstocks for grafting, and I have no answer to your question about true-ness from seed (wondering that myself!)
I took them straight from the softened fruit in Oct-Dec, washed them, put them in damp paper towels in ziplock bags, and refrigerated them for at least 2 months. Then I planted them in moist potting soil in pots in the sun around Jan-Feb, and they started sprouting about 2-3 months later. The Giants are clearly more willing to sprout (so far)

Carla in Sac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here