Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple trees - did I learn something important?

Posted by oldryder (4), MN (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 10:45

looking for comments or advice on the following:

planted 50 bare root apple trees spring 2009. No blossoms 2010 and 2011, a few this year mostly killed by cold. trees were mulched with wood chips from the beginning and mulch was refreshed annually. I did transplant a few of these 3 year old trees this year and they were not root bound.

started adding urea last year based on advice here on foruum which has helped growth a lot.

Last spring planted 5 trees along the outside edge of pond dike. Knew it might be too wet.

One of the 5 trees on the dike (NW Greening Semi D) has done far better than any other tree I;ve ever planted. Lots of blossoms this year with subsequent apple buds (is that the right term?). This tree was in a spot that was much wetter than the others on the dike and all the rest of my trees; wet enough I thought it might die.

the performance of this tree has me asking myself if all my trees are short of water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple trees - did I learn something important?

It could be, but sometimes you just get a really strong vigorous tree.
Don't you wish they all could be like that!

o

Might be too wet?. If you take a ball of soil in your hands squeeze and water comes out like a sponge- too wet. If it feels quite moist but you can't squeeze out water, it's probably right for optimum tree growth. There is a point way before trees wilt when growth slows and the right balance of air and water is usually the most important factor in tree vigor.

o

You did not mention if the trees were dwarf, semidwark or standard. Standard trees can take several years to bloom.

o

the vast majority are demi-D, only a few are dwarf. none are on std rootstock. seems like I should have had abundant flowers this year with trees experiencing their 4th spring.

based on harvestmans post I'll do a little digging and check moisture content in the primary orchard area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here