Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosieo_gw

So I want to build a grape trellis...

rosieo
10 years ago

I need to build a trellis for my grapes but the more I read, the more confused I get. My neighbors have trellises that look like clotheslines with a piece of fencing laid across the top. So you walk underneath to pick the grapes.

But the ones I see online look like thin wires stretched between poles. So you would stand in front of it to pick the grapes. That seems easier from the picker's perspective.

Which is better, stronger, longer lasting, gives the best yields? Can you point me to some simple, illustrated instructions?

I have a very handy husband who can make anything. I just need to give him some instructions to go by. I'd like to plant, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 grapes? The space I have available is about 35' long.

Here's a photo of my neighbor's trellis. What I don't like is the fencing panels he used. The gauge is too thin and it's sagging. If it was taut it would be easier to pick. It made for very awkward picking because you have to stoop, look straight up, pick, and watch out for bees, all at the same time. So I think a vertical system would make for easier picking. What kind do you all have?

Comments (11)

• TheDerek
    10 years ago

3 4x4 green treated posts set in concrete 6' above ground, 2' below. Ends anchored with earth anchors to keep end posts from bending under the load. One support post in center with wires run straight through the middle. 2 12ga wires, one at 6' another at 4', inline turnbuckle to tension wires. I can take some pictures of my 2 trellis's when I get home if you need a visual. Depending on how wide your area is, you could maybe install 2 separate trellis's and double your grape area... When you set your posts, put crushed rock or sand at bottom of the hole, put in post and THEN add concrete, you dont want the concrete to seal the bottom of the post or you make a cup that will hold water and rot your post much faster. You can add the earth anchors at a later date when/if you need them, but you probably will.

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

I trained my grapes on a double cordon, I had my boyfriend build a structure like the one in my Western Garden Book. It seems to be working well, the grapes are in their third year and I'm hoping to get lots of fruit this summer.

I think you're right about a vertical system being easier for picking, also for pruning and training. In my opinion an arbor is more for the esthetics, I think a grape covered arbor is a beautiful thing but if you're serious about getting a lot of good grapes a cordon is better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Academic article on grape training

• rosieo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aaacckkk. I was hoping everybody would agree on one method being superior. :)

Derek, if you could take a picture that would be really helpful. Your directions were concise and specific, thank you so much. With that trellis stretching 35' how many grapes could I fit in it? I'm hoping I don't need two trellises, I plan to use the space beside it for berry bushes.

Peachymomo, thank you for the link. Lots of good info there. My problem is when they try to describe various methods I get confused trying to decide which method is best. I just want The One True Way, lol.

My plan is to only plant disease resistant varieties. It rains a lot here so I won't need to worry about rinsing the grapes. My neighbors don't have problems with mildew (in spite of the rain) so I think this must be a good area for grapes.

I honestly don't care how it looks, I'm more interested in function.

• midlin
    10 years ago

Hi- I had a similar question for 5 grapes in a 40' row. I hoped for a simple single 6' wire, but based on the high fertility of the soil I plan two wires 6+ feet high and 3.5 feet apart (Geneva Double Curtain) with two 5" end posts angled out in concrete 40 feet apart and a support in the middle (no concrete), with two turnbuckles. The OSU publication is helpful. Good luck.

How did anyone find 12 gauge fence wire, and is 'high tensile' needed? I already have 9 gauge, but think it will be too thick to work with, or tension with turnbuckles.

Similar question: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg12001749757.html

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Pub with Trellis Instructions

• treehugger101
    10 years ago

I am attaching a close sample of the trellis we are building now. http://deepgreenpermaculture.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/picture-032.jpg

Ours will be built from 1' iron pipe. It will have another horizontal pipe half way up to stabilize the trellis. Rather than filling the base of the pipes with concrete, we will use 18" rebar rods that fit up into the pipe. 2' of the pipe will be below ground. We are using 10' pipe, trimmed to fit inside a 10' raised bed for additional stability. Anyone see any problems? We buy the pipe and fittings in two days.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:95760}}

• stake
    10 years ago

Here's my arbor....

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Here is mine 4" dia pole set in cement holes drilled through all poles at same level. 1 pc.rebar pushed strait through from first pole thru all to last pole
    8 years old- no sagging -this pic was from last year about Nov.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

#2 Hope you can visual it
    Ck bottom right you can just see the rebar inserted thru the bottom part of the pole
    3x10' rebar =3 vert. rows
    3x4'' dia poles

This post was edited by campv on Wed, May 8, 13 at 19:57

• Tim Wolfe
    8 years ago

With the help of www.GrowGrapes.info I was able to establish a great looking trellis very quickly! That website has step-by-step instructions regarding growing a grape vine. The drawings, sketches and pictures are a fantastic source with tons of information and clarity. It provided me with comprehensive details to assist me in achieving a successful outcome with growing grapes for years. Highly recommended :) Best of luck to you!

• benfisher
    8 years ago

Geneva double curtain would be my recomendation. Maximizes space and has some flexibly in pruining and training

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA