Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic spray experience/recipe?

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 10:48

We over planted in garlic last year and now even after giving away lots have 20-30 bulbs left. They are nearing the end of useful storage life. I hate waste and keep the gardens and orchards organically.....

I hear lots of talk about garlic spray in these areas, but a lot of it sounds like snake-oil, people claiming it does everything.

Anyone know of studies or have personal experience to relate on its use and effectiveness?
Specific pests or disease it appear useful against?
Are there hazards or drawbacks to it's use/experimnetation?
Recipes or dilution rates?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic spray experience/recipe?

I have gotten somewhat cynical of all the claims about neem, garlic, EM, compost tea sprays etc. Overall I do think they can do some good but the benefits are weak so its very difficult to get significant results. If its otherwise going to waste you may as well spray it on, foliar feeding is always a good idea. This year I am doing regular foliar feeding with fish and seaweed fertilizer, basically including some in every spray I do. Molasses is another good foliar feeder.

Scott

o

Same as Scott...if there is a benefit, its going to be weak. I'm trying Neem oil (100% Neem) this year for the first time.

o

When I have end-of-the-road garlic, I throw it on the deer paths to get their attention.

I do have a story. Years ago, when the garlic barrier product was first out, I was hosting a small wedding reception in my back yard in Huntsville, AL. The house was on a river, and the evening mosquitoes could be ferocious. I sprayed the yard -- shrubs, grass, trees -- with garlic spray for 3 days before the event, and we had no mosquitoes, at least for one night. Just sayin.

o

If you spray the vampire movie DVDs, they probably will not work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here