Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delaying trees comming out of dormancy

Posted by twm2340 7a (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 10:49

Lost most of my peaches plums and nectarines to late frost.
I would like to know if anyone has experience, or thinks a thick mulch out to the dripline might have delayed flowering by a week or so? I can get enough to put a 6 inch layer, and protect the trunk from rodents. Dont want to go through the trouble and expence if it is probably a waste, as I dont have any way of keeping the buds cold.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delaying trees comming out of dormancy

Nope... not a chance. Proof was this year. I had peaches with FROZEN roots that were leafing out because air temps were so mild in March. I know they were frozen because they were seedlings and I was digging them up to be moved and I had to break through a layer of ice in the soil. For what I've seen this year, air temps play a much larger roll then soil temps.

o

Thanks for your input. I found suorces saying it will delay bud break, but wanted first hand knowledge. Too much of what you read on the web needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I found this article just now, and will try it with the latex paint on one apricot tree next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: alginate gel

o

I agree with franktank... the only thing that really helps to delay flowering is to plant the tree in a cold microclimate (soil and air are cooler). This can buy you a few days, which is more in some cases than a so-called late flowering cultivar will provide.

This year I also noticed a marked difference in the duration of bloom among different peach varieties. J.H. Hale bloomed for a much much longer period than any of the others (Elberta, Reliance, Belle of Georgia, and a couple unknown varieties). This could be due to the fact that it is self-infertile, or possibly because it is a new tree, planted just last fall.

o

Fabaceae, I had something similar. Artic sweet, artic jay
honey kist and honey blaze, bloomed before the rest of the peaches and necatrines.
The upper branches have a few fruits that are about golf ball size. Mixed in with them are lots of small fruits about 1/2 inch long. The lower branches have nothing. On all of the peach and nectarines, the upper branches have normal size fruit. The lower brancher are bare. They are the only ones with this mismatch. I guess the frost settled on the lower branches. I am looking to see where I can get a few lbs of the alginate gel cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here